Tuesday, August 10, 2010

He loves us anyway...

I almost don't know where to start this morning. :) God is beyond AMAZING! He is continuously revealing this to me and I'm loving every minute of it. Last night we had I guess our first official Ladies prayer night. This is such a blessing to me. It helps so much to be surrounded by women of God that I know love me. To learn with and from them through God. I'm so excited about how He is working and going to work through this prayer group. I'm praying so hard that it's just as much of a blessing for everyone else as well. I felt God's presence there last night. I felt Him speaking through Ms. Dawn as she brought the devotion. The story that she told and the verses that God gave her are still on my heart. I was talking to Dustin this morning and I was telling him, I'm still so amazed at how God interlaces everything. From a story in 2 Samuel 11 to a prayer in Psalm 51, it all goes together. These verses also can go along with everything I've been studying. If you are reading this and you don't know the story of David and Bathsheba I'll give a short version of it. I don't think I can do as good as Ms. Dawn last night but I'll try.

All the men were at war and at this time kings went to war also. But for some reason the bible says David did not go. Ms Dawn explained to us that this was David's first sin.  Well David went on his roof and saw a woman taking a bath. Here comes the second sin. When he should have walked away he stayed and watched. He lusted after her and sent someone to bring her to him. This was a married woman who's husband was at war. By the way Bathsheba's first sin was taking a bath in the open. It's kind of like asking for trouble if you ask me. Ms. Dawn explained to us that we are to be MODEST! I found this definition of modest and I like it... unwilling to draw attention to your own achievements or abilities.. and I'll add unwilling to draw attention to yourself! We are to COVER ourselves and dress and act modestly to never be a hinderance to anyone else and just out of respect for ourselves! So after David sent someone for her they committed adultery and were with child. Then long story short David had her husband killed by sending him to the front lines of the war. The part of the story that stands out most to me is.. Because of this sin the baby did not live. But because of David's repentence in Psalms 51 GOD DELIVERED HIM FROM THIS SIN! I can't sit still in my seat thinking about this! :0) Yes there are consequences for our sins but because we serve an AWESOME God there is deliverance in His name. AND there isn't JUST deliverance. God ALWAYS makes something good out of something bad if we just rely on Him! Psalm 51:1-2 says "Have mercy upon me, O God according to thy lovingkindness: according unto the multitude of thy tender mercies blot out my transgressions. Wash me throughly from mine iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin." David prayed for God to forgive him and WASH him clean. In verse 7 David asked that God wash him that he may be white as snow! Because David humbled himself and asked for forgiveness God then blessed him with a son. This son was Solomon. Solomon was the wisest man to live.
What I find so awesome about this story is... David didn't deserve the forgiveness. We don't deserve God's forgiveness but HE FORGIVES when we call upon his name. Not only did David not deserve God's forgiveness but he definately didn't deserve to receive a blessing of a son. We don't deserve the things God gives us either! BUT He gives them to us anyway. Doesn't that give us even just a glimpse of how much God really loves us? Man that's good!

Dustin shared this verse with me this morning and it goes right along with all of this. Matthew 11:28-30 "Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light." If you have sin in your life, bring it to God. If you have any burden in your life bring it to God. He is our rock, our shelter, our strong tower. Why do we think we can handle things on our own? We don't have to handle them alone. Hebrews 13:5 "Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have: for He hath said, I WILL NEVER LEAVE THEE NOR FORSAKE THEE." God doesn't leave us! He is always there. We just need to rely on Him. I'm so excited to rely on Him!!

2 comments:

  1. Heather,
    Last night was just as much of a blessing for me as well! God does seem to be blessing our efforts...mostly Dawn's efforts. She did an awesome job with the devotion last night! And you have done an awesome job with this post! I agree with you about Bathsheba's sin. She certainly shouldn't have been bathing in public. And you are so right that we are to be modest. The Bible tells us that we are not to cause a brother to stumble. If we are drawing attention to our bodies, then we very well can cause a brother to stumble. I would love to elaborate more on that, but don't have time at the moment. Perhaps that is a post for my blog for later.

    Keep letting God use you through this blog and in all the other ways He uses you! Your posts are SO encouraging and thought-provoking. I love you lots!

    ~Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Amy that means a lot! Love you too!

    ReplyDelete